Monday, December 9, 2013

Handmade French Christmas Postcard Ornaments

My taste in decor varies so much.
I love rustic, of course I have to right? I live in a log cabin.
I also love chippy, shabby farmhouse goodness too.
 
The ornaments I made today fall into the latter category.
 
 
I decided to use some of my fabric scraps to create Christmas ornaments.
 
I had red ticking, tan ticking and creamy white duck cloth fabric leftover
from making pillow covers.
 
I started out by choosing two French Christmas postcard images
 and printing them directly onto the duck cloth.
There's a full tutorial here on how to use freezer paper and your printer to print onto fabric.
 


Next, I cut the fabric with the printed images,
along with the ticking fabric into 5.5"x 4" rectangles
and cut pieces of batting slightly smaller.
 

 
I made two sets of ornaments.
One set has red ticking on the back and the other set has tan ticking on the back.
 
I also cut 4 matching lengths of twine to use as hangers.

 
I stitched around the outside edge of each ornament creating little pillows with frayed edges.
 


 
You may be able to use a no sew heat adhesion product
to achieve the same result if you don't sew.
 

 
These ornaments would look cute hanging on cabinet door knobs...
 
 
...they would even work as bowl fillers...

 
...and of course, you can hang them on your Christmas tree.
 
 
Do you suffer from liking more than one decor style also, or is it just me?
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
Linking to:
The Hankful House
Knick of Time
The Newlywed Pilgrimage
Between Naps on the Porch

8 comments:

  1. In my life, people think it's a matter of not being able to make up my mind. So happy to identify with others who love many décor styles. I have always been that way. I think it makes life so much more interesting. Love your blog. Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I feel inconsistent at times in my style, but I like what I like. :)

      Delete
  2. I have an antique shop so I can fully relate. I like all eras, 1800s, 1900s, all of it. (I've even opened up my mind to the 1970's which I thought would NEVER happen.
    This is a clear, well-written tutorial and I like everything about the antique postcard transfer idea. I've been looking for something to store the pine needles which I brought back from northern Wisconsin. This would work perfect. When I crunch up the bag, the smell of the Wisconsin woods brings back memories of vacations. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it was a wonderful vacation. Amazing how smells can do that to us. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. So cute!!! Thanks for linking up to the "Get Your DIY On" link up party! Bring your handmade project on Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a matter of fact these informative and great blogs have amazed me. cheap eddm printing

    ReplyDelete