Monday, June 29, 2015

Garage Sale Frame Chalkboard Makeover

A vintage garage sale picture got a makeover
 and now it's a large chalkboard.



See the large picture in the back?
That's it, before the makeover.


I removed the original artwork and the 1000s of staples holding it in.
That was actually the most tedious part of the whole makeover.


After cleaning the empty frame, I brushed a few coats of 
Amy Howard chalk paint on it.


Then I distressed it, which allowed some of the gold color underneath to show, 
and hand rubbed a clear wax on it.


Now comes the easy part, turning it into a chalkboard.

Did you know that Home Depot sells 2'x4' sheets of chalkboard?

Guess what size the opening of this frame is?
Yep, you guessed it, 2'x4'.
How's that for easy.



The chalkboard fit perfectly into the frame.
I used clear silicone around the back edges of the chalkboard to
hold it securely to the frame.
(just like you would use caulk around a sink)


I attached a few D-ring hangers to the back
 so that the chalkboard can be hung vertically or horizontally.

This chalkboard is in my booth at a local antique store
and I wanted it to match the patriotic theme I have going on there,
so I drew this little saying on it. 

I think it would be perfect as a menu board on a vertical wall near a kitchen 
or even as a directional board at a wedding.
What do you think?

Do you use chalkboards in your decor?

Enjoy the upcoming July 4th holiday!


'til next time,
post signature



Linking to:

3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks! wholesale wall art australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers' base already! Cheap Deals in Melbourne


    ReplyDelete